The Badger 5 garbage disposal is a popular model made by InSinkErator, and it’s known for its reliability and performance. However, like any mechanical device, a Badger 5 garbage disposal can sometimes experience problems.
Here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot a Badger 5 garbage disposal that isn’t working properly:
Step 1: Check the Power Supply
The first thing to check is the power supply. Make sure the disposal is plugged in and that the outlet is working properly. If the outlet isn’t working, try resetting the circuit breaker. If the disposal still isn’t working, move on to the next step.
Step 2: Clear Any Jams
The Badger 5 garbage disposal is designed to automatically shut off if it becomes jammed. To clear a jam, turn off the power supply to the disposal and unplug it. Use a flashlight to look inside the disposal and locate the jam. Use a pair of pliers or tongs to remove any debris that may be causing the jam. Never use your hands to clear a jam, as this can be dangerous.
Step 3: Reset the Disposal
After clearing any jams, reset the disposal. There is a red reset button located on the bottom of the unit. Press this button to reset the disposal. Then, turn the power supply back on and see if the disposal is working properly.
Step 4: Check for Blockages in the Drain Pipe
If the disposal still isn’t working properly, there may be a blockage in the drain pipe. Turn off the power supply to the disposal and unplug it. Use a plunger to try and clear the blockage. If this doesn’t work, you may need to remove the trap and use a plumbing snake to clear the blockage.
Step 5: Inspect the Blades
If none of the above steps have resolved the issue, the blades may be damaged or dull. Turn off the power supply to the disposal and unplug it. Use a flashlight to inspect the blades. If they appear damaged or dull, you may need to replace them.
Step 6: Check the Motor
If none of the above steps have resolved the issue, the motor may be damaged. Turn off the power supply to the disposal and unplug it. Use a multimeter to check the continuity of the motor. If the motor isn’t functioning properly, you may need to replace it.
Step 7: Call a Professional
If you’ve gone through all the above steps and the disposal still isn’t working properly, it’s time to call in a professional plumber. They will have the tools and expertise to diagnose and repair the issue.
In conclusion, troubleshooting a Badger 5 garbage disposal can be done by following these steps. It’s important to remember to always turn off the power supply and unplug the unit before attempting any repairs or maintenance. If you’re uncomfortable working with mechanical devices, it’s always best to call in a professional plumber to diagnose and repair any issues.
If you liked this article, feel free to check my Badger 5 review.
How to unjam InSinkErator Badger 5 garbage disposal
If your Badger 5 garbage disposal is jammed, it can be a frustrating and potentially dangerous situation. Here are the steps you can take to safely unjam the disposal:
- Turn off the Power: Before attempting to unjam the garbage disposal, turn off the power to the unit. You can do this by unplugging the disposal from the outlet or by turning off the circuit breaker that powers the unit. This will help prevent any accidents while you are working on the disposal.
- Identify the Jam: Once the power is turned off, you can inspect the disposal to identify the source of the jam. Use a flashlight to look into the disposal chamber and locate any objects or debris that may be causing the jam.
- Remove Debris: Using tongs or pliers, carefully remove any debris that you can see inside the disposal chamber. Be sure not to put your hands inside the disposal, as this can be very dangerous. You may need to manually rotate the disposal blades to access all the debris.
- Use a Hex Wrench: If you’re unable to remove the jam using tongs or pliers, the Badger 5 garbage disposal comes with a hex wrench that can be used to manually turn the disposal blades. Insert the hex wrench into the socket at the bottom of the unit and turn it back and forth a few times. This may dislodge any objects or debris that are causing the jam.
- Reset the Disposal: After removing the jam, resetting the garbage disposal is important. This can be done by pressing the reset button located at the bottom of the unit. Once the reset button is pressed, restore power to the unit and turn it on. The garbage disposal should be functioning properly again.